- Preheat oven to 250 °F and line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, mix the kefir, egg yolk and sugar.
- In a separate bowl, whisk the egg whites until stiff peaks begin to form.
- Add salt, flour and baking soda to the bowl of wet ingredients. Whisk to combine into a thick batter. Gently fold in egg white mixture. Let stand for 15 minutes.
- Over medium heat, fill a heavy-bottomed (ideally non-stick) pan with a ½ inch of oil. When the oil is hot enough, using a large spoon, drop the pancake batter into the hot oil and fry on one side until golden. Carefully flip the pancake and cook until the other side is golden brown. The pancakes will puff up as soon as you flip them over. (Add oil throughout the frying process, if necessary.)
- Transfer the pancakes onto the baking sheet. Bake for 3–5 minutes until the pancakes are set.
- Serve with sliced bananas, roasted walnuts and maple syrup!
You can tell your oil is hot enough by putting a wooden spoon into the oil. If there are bubbles that form around the wooden spoon, your oil is ready to go.